Using the App
Download the app from the App Store or from Google Play, depending on which operating platform your smartphone uses.
Create a user profile for yourself in the app or in the web platform http://community.sprayprinter.com.
After signing in you can upload your own designs, save your work, browse through ready-made designs uploaded by other users, and much more.
You can browse our collection of designs and buy them from our website at http://community.sprayprinter.com. All the purchased designs will be added to your collection which can be accessed from both from the web and mobile app. You can add free designs straight from the app to your collection. Designs that are not free can only be bought from the web.
You can also print designs that you load directly to your phone’s gallery. How to prepare the image so that it can be sprayprinted read “Creating your own designs”.
When you have chosen a design that you would like to print, open it in the printing mode by tapping on it. You can now assign colors to the different layers and change the printing order by dragging the layers. The bottom layer that should be printed first is on the top.
When you are happy with the colors press “ready”. Now you can set up your phone as instructed in the “printing section” then press the accept button “ü” on the right.
On the left there is the settings button where you can change the pixel size and print speed. Also, you can switch on/off the freehand mode and the “print once” function.
- Pixel size – Use bigger values when filling larger same color areas (2.5 – 5). When printing finer textures or details use smaller values (1.2 – 2.5). The other use for this button is compensating the pixel size when the can gets emptier.
- Print speed – controls how many pixels are printed per second. At first it is recommended to use lower speeds like 20 or 25 to get the right feel for printing. Higher speeds 50 – 100 can be used when filling in bigger areas.
- Freehand – this button deactivates the tracking so that the printer will fire pixels whenever the trigger is pressed. Care should be taken when using this mode.
Freehand mode is ideal for changing colors in the printer and cleaning it. Never aim the printer at yourself or anyone else, paint is difficult to remove and can damage the eyes.
- Print once – when activated the printer remembers the pixels that are already printed and prevents printing the same pixels many times. This is useful when you for example stop your hand mid printing still holding the trigger. Only one pixel will be printed. If this mode is off, the printer will keep firing the same pixel as long as the trigger is pressed or you will move the printer away from that spot. Working with this mode off can be faster and if you are a confident sprayprinter user the results can be smoother. But for beginners we recommend to have it turned on.
Community.sprayprinter.com is a platform for buying ready-made designs, uploading your own designs and communicating with other SprayPrinter users.
If you have found the perfect design from our marketplace, click the button “Add to my collection” and you can purchase the files needed for sprayprinting. Many of the designs are free of charge and by clicking the button, the designs will automatically go to “My collection”. You can see the designs you have uploaded yourself and the designs you have bought by clicking the “My Collection” link on the top menu.
Uploading your own designs
Everyone can upload their own designs from the “Upload” link on the top menu. The guidelines for editing the files can be seen by clicking “Show design guidelines” button on the top left corner.
Making your designs public
By ticking the box “Public”, everyone can see and download your design. You can add a price or share it free of charge. Public designs need to be reviewed before they become available to everyone. If you are submitting a design for personal use, keep it private (do not tick the box) and it will be available to you immediately. A design’s status can be changed at any time.
If you make your design public, you can set a price for it. At the end of each month all the purchases are calculated and the artist’s fee will be transferred to the author of the design (minus the taxes and third force fee).
Using SprayPrinter community to create designs from your photos
If you want to sprayprint your own custom image, some photo editing needs to be done. You can see the guidelines under the “Design guidlines” section. If you prefer not to do it yourself, it’s possible to contact our artists who can do it for you for an extra fee.
The size of the printed area is 320×320 pixels.
When uploading, designs will be resized into the right size and itâ€™s possible to crop the image, but we strongly recommend you to size your design beforehand.
Display images can be larger and will not be resized, but the largest they are displayed is 470×470 pixels, and to assure that everyone has a better browsing experience, your images should be sized accordingly.
The maximum size of an uploaded image (both display images and layers) is 2MB.
Every color tone should be uploaded as a separate file.
SprayPrinter uses one spraycan at the time. That means all the colors should be separated into different layers and uploaded as different files.
All the layers are in png format.
All the layers should have a transparent background. Anything that isnâ€™t transparent will be marked as sprayprintable area.
The color of the layers should be the same as on the design.
Note that the end user can change the final color schema from SprayPrinter’s mobile application. We recommend using Montana water-based spray paint (exact tones available at http://www.montana colors.com/webapp/spray?id=560).
The file name of your design must include the order.
The order is ascending (from 1 up). e.g. steampunk_helmet_1.png would be the first layer sprayprinted, steampunk_helmet_2.png would be the second.
If you have trouble editing the images yourself, please try out our Image Editor which separates images into layers automatically. You can also download the results as a ZIP file.
If you are sprayprinting for the very first time we recommend you try printing our tutorial image.
Before you begin make sure you have the spray paints to finish the design. When we tested the design (5 x 5 ft or 1,5 x 1,5 m) it took us nearly two hours so take the time and prepare a charging option for your phone (cord or a power bank).
It is a good idea to have the design printed on paper so you can see it during the printing process.
Although we have preset the colors for our tutorial print feel free to choose your own colors. There are three colors used in the tutorial. To print the tutorial design, follow the points below:
- Choose a location for the design.
- Set up the tripod and mount your phone on it. The SprayPrinter package can also be used as a phone holder/tripod. You can adjust the size of the image by moving the camera either closer to or further away from the wall.
- It is helpful to put some guiding marks on the wall in case you might need the phone for other purposes during printing. It is more convenient to continue printing and find the same location if you have marked the area, with post-it notes, for example.
- Attach the spray can that you need for the first layer to the SprayPrinter
- Switch on SprayPrinter. SprayPrinter is automatically in freehand mode when you have not loaded any image to the printer. So care should be taken not to press the trigger accidentally.
- Aim the nozzle to a safe direction and press the trigger to let the paint fill the printer. When the paint starts to spray, release the trigger.
- Now you are ready to print. Put the printer on the wall so that the rollers are touching the wall. When pressing the trigger the tracking LED light is illuminated and when you move the printer along the wall the position of the printer is being tracked and whenever you move it to an area that should be printed the pixels are printed.
- It is recommended to start printing from the top of the design, that way you don’t have to go over the freshly printed pixels with the rollers. Otherwise there will be some smearing.
- The accuracy is higher when moving your hand steadily so it is recommended to print the outer areas of the layer slowly. Then you can fill in the inner part faster. Freehand mode can be used to make the process faster.
- When you are happy with the result you can load the second layer to the printer and start the process over again.
- You can’t go back to a previous layer. Restart the app, load the image again and do only the layer which you want to improve. You can change the order of the different layers by holding your finger on the layer and moving it up or down in the printing order.
- Make sure to turn off SprayPrinter when you have finished working with it.
Cleaning the printer
To make sure that the printer will last for a long time some care should be taken. When you have finished the design it is highly recommended to clean the printer using either SprayPrinter’s cleaning liquid or a 20 ml syringe filled with water. Do not use the needle of the syringe. Push the syringe onto the small plastic nozzle on the bottom of the printer. Make sure it covers the whole bottom nozzle. If it doesn’t fit cut about 4mm off the syringe’s nozzle or until it fits. Put the printer in freehand mode and print speed to a 100 or close to that. Aim the printer in a safe distance. Push the trigger down and press the water out of the syringe. Repeat this process until the water that comes out of the printer’s top nozzle, seems clean.
You can also use some cleaners to clean the printer. Don’t mix it with colors, use it only for cleaning the printer.
If you have any trouble cleaning the printer, you should leave the spray can attached, that way the paint inside the printer won’t dry and the printer won’t clog. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further assistance or if you doubt which colors or cleaners to use.
When using SprayPrinter’s colors or other water based spray paints you have to use water to clean the printer. When using solvent based paints, water will clog the printer so solvents must be used to clean the printer. See the paint information label to make sure which kind of paint you are using. Do not use solvent-based paints! SprayPrinter only supports water-based paints!
Storing the printer
It is advised that you don’t remove the spray can when you leave the printer idle for a short time (up to 2 days). But when putting SprayPrinter away for a longer time you should clean the printer thoroughly (see “Cleaning the printer”) and remove the spray can. Store the printer in room temperature, switched off.
Charging the battery
The battery should last long enough to finish any print. So after printing you should charge your SprayPrinter. You can use the USB cord provided with the printer. You have to charge directly from the power outlet. Laptop USB ports don’t have a high enough electric current to charge the SprayPrinter battery. IMPORTANT! During charging the printer must be switched on otherwise the battery will not charge.
Frequently Asked Question
What is SprayPrinter?
SprayPrinter is a smart spray can technology that prints pictures from your smartphone to any surface using spray paint.
How does SprayPrinter work?
Choose a design from our app. Connect a spray can to the SprayPrinter, activate the application and start printing. The phone tracks the printer’s position via a LED light on top of the printer.
Which mobile platforms does the app support?
The app supports both Android and iOS. It requires at least Android 5.0 and iOS 8.0
What types of spray paints can I use with SprayPrinter?
You can use all standard size spray cans (300 or 400 ml with a 65 mm diameter). We recommend only using water-based paints which are more printer friendly. Do not use solvent-based paints.
We have a close partnership with MTN and we’ve mostly used their water-based spray paints in our testing. You can find their stores around the world here.
Where can I buy the correct spray paints?
SprayPrinter only supports water-based paints. We use and recommend only Montana Colors water-based line of spray paints. You can find a list of their official shops here. The list of their distributors around the world can be found here.
How long does a spray can last?
That depends on how much you use it. When the pressure inside the can lowers to a certain level in which the pixels from the printer stop being consistent then the can needs some shaking to provide paint to the printer.
Is it possible to erase something after printing?
Since SprayPrinter only supports water-based paints the paint can be removed easily with a wet cloth when the paint hasn’t yet dried. When the paint has dried the results are permanent so you should choose wisely when commiting to a project.
When you have finished the design it is highly recommended to clean the printer using either SprayPrinter’s cleaning liquid or a 20 ml syringe filled with water. When using SprayPrinter’s colors or other water-based spray paints you have to clean the printer with water. When using solvent based paints, water will clog the printer so solvents must be used to clean the printer, but we recommend using only water-based paints.
How long does one picture take to make?
It all depends on the size and type of the design but printing a single design takes at least 2 – 3 hours.
What types of surfaces can I print on?
You can print to any surface.
How can I sell my designs through the SprayPrinter app?
By ticking the box “public”, everyone can see and download your design. You can add a price or share it free of charge. At the end of each month all the purchases are calculated and the artist’s fee will be transferred to the author of the design.
How many spray cans can I use simultaneously?
Right now, SprayPrinter only supports one spray can at a time.
Can I use multiple SprayPrinters on one picture?
As of now you can only use one SprayPrinter for printing a design.
How to buy designs through the SprayPrinter app?
If you have found the perfect design from our marketplace, click the button “Add to my collection” and you can purchase the files needed for sprayprinting. Many of the designs are free of charge and by clicking the button, the designs will automatically go to “My Collection”. As for the designs that are not free, you can buy designs only through web. You can see the designs you have uploaded yourself and the designs you have bought by clicking the “My Collection” link on the top menu.
How to import my own designs?
Sign up at community.sprayprinter.com.
Everyone can upload their own designs from the “upload” link on the top menu. If you want to sprayprint your own custom image, some photo editing needs to be done. The guidelines for editing the files can be seen by clicking “Show design guidelines” button on the top left corner. For a detailed guide on how to make sprayprintable files refer to the PDF document (“How to make sprayprintable files”) at the bottom of this page.
If you prefer not to do it yourself, it’s possible to contact our artists who can do it for you for an extra fee.
What are the size restrictions?
The design needs to be split into different layers for the different colors and uploaded as separate files. The printer recognizes 320×320 pixel png files and the non-printable area must be made transparent. The maximum size of an uploaded image (both display images and layers) is 2MB. For further instructions refer to “Show design guidlines” on the upload page.
How much skill does the printing require?
No previous artistic skills are required to use SprayPrinter.
What If I don’t have a wall to print on?
SprayPrinter has a variety of different use cases. You don’t have to limit yourself with only walls. There are shirts, bags, canvases, pumpkins etc. you can use SprayPrinter with. We are dreaming up new ways to print every day and the possibilities seem endless.
Where can I purchase a SprayPrinter?
Right now, SprayPrinter can be purchased by supporting our Kickstarter campaign which will start on November 7th and lasts until December 7th. You can register for updates via email on our homepage.